Bullying will only occur if the organisational context is suitable for bullying. Just as plants only grow if the conditions of the soil, temperature, light levels etc are favourable, so bullying will only occur if an organisational context fosters a bully’s need to bully.
Bullying is more likely to occur where
- Job descriptions are unclear
- Communication is poor or inconsistent
- Expectations of performance are unrealistic
- There is an over-identification with targets/quotas
- Management are unaware of how negative projections filter down the organisation generating the potential for dysfunctional behaviour on the way
- There are vacuums of support for individuals or groups